Thursday, June 30, 2011

IQ

IQ scores are amusing to me now, mostly because they really only seem to provide bragging rights and a way to compare oneself against others. That being said, whenever someone brings up the topic of IQ I always have a strong urge to blurt out the score I received at 17 years old (ahem... 136) - proving I am by no means immune to arrogance, even if it is irrelevant.

Today I was readying an article that sent me to an about.com link for IQ scores (view here), and thought it would be a wonderful reference to launch from. Thus, today's topic will be about IQ.

Why we have IQ scores:
Back in the 1950's the French government decided they wanted a way to help "slow learners," so a French psychologist named Alfred Binet and his colleagues took on the task (Durand and Barlow, 2010, p.81). The Intelligence quotient (IQ) test was born and its purpose was to determine how a child scored in comparison to other children of the same age group. If a child was below the average score of 100, then it was estimated that their school performance would be less than average, so remedial assistance may help the child.

So how did we get from a test that measured academic performance in children to the idea that it somehow measures a person's knowledge - or even more extreme, that is measures someone's worth?

A unique and comprehensive concept. Perhaps we should start
looking more at someone's Emotional Quotient, rather than
their Intelligence Quotient. Photo credits-see bottom of post.

Honestly, I'm a little disgusted after doing some research. The internet is full of "definitions" about an IQ test. "You too can be a genius! Just take this memory enhancing drug," or "Subscribe to find out how!" "Get an IQ score of over 180!" Most of the websites that attempt to provide information seem reputable until you scroll down and see that they are trying to sell you something. Even the website that led me to this photo was trying to sell a video that increases IQ.

I also found an over abundance of free online IQ tests. Now, you can take an IQ online in minutes! To prove said point, I took a free online IQ test here, (I wouldn't recommend putting in anything except your email unless you want them to contact you).* My score there was 148. Apparently my societal value just skyrocketed. I don't know about you, but if you can determine my educational capacity in 4 easy steps, there's probably something flawed with your test. Keeping in mind the purpose of the IQ test, I probably should have a higher score than most people my age because I'm currently attending college. I'm not so sure about 148, but I should be above average.

So, the IQ test nonsense is out there floating around and it will be for quite some time, but maybe you will have a bit more understanding of its purpose and origin. The next time a friend brags about their IQ score you can congratulate them on their academic potential according to whatever 10 minute online assessment they used.

What is Intelligence?
I'll conclude with this thought. According to the Intelligence Quotient, Intelligence is academic potential when rated against others of the same age. I do not accept that definition, like many others. What do you think intelligence is? How can it be measured? I wonder if we should come up with a Common Sense Quotient or CSQ. I think that would be a more accurate measure of actual intelligence.


*I don't have any affiliation with this website and am not responsible for spam or other consequences that come with this site if you chose to take the test.

Source:

Durand, V. Mark; & Barlow, David H.. (2010). Essentials of Abnormal Psychology (5th Ed). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.

Photo Source:

Ling, L. (2011, April 4). Improve Emotional Intelligence and IQ?. Increase IQ Fast. Retrieved June 30, 2011. From: http://www.increaseiqfast.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment